Saabing.com

Saab Discussion Boards
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: lancel soldes Funny Stories about Famous People (2
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:02 am 
Saab Junkie

Funny Stories about Famous People,lancel
Not looking for quotes here. For my AP class,giuseppe zanotti sneakers, I've had some success ending the class with a short (1 2 minute) story about some person or period under discussion, but there are wide swaths of the subject area I just haven't fun studied enough to have these kinds of finishers for every day or topic. I want more.
Also: I just love short,ralph lauren soldes, funny, or bizzare stories about historical figures. It is its own reason.
They need not be US centric,sac lancel, Rome and Greece are full of these sorts of things, and I'm a big fan of Alexander's gift to Leonidas, as its is a story that is both awesome on its own,sac lancel, and can be plugged in to finish all kinds of topics about the Classical and Hellenistic worlds.
posted by absalom to Grab Bag (31 answers total) 44 users marked this as a favorite
My favourite is about Albert Einstein: He was apparently a late talker and his parents were worried about his mental development. At last,casquette new era, at the supper table one night, he broke his silence to say, "The soup is too hot." Greatly relieved, his parents asked why he had never said a word before. Albert replied, "Because up to now everything was in order."
posted by nomis at 3:58 PM on January 27, 2011 [3 favorites]
From Richard Feynman:
You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here,new era snapback, on the way to the lecture,giuseppe zanotti sneakers, and I came in through the parking lot. And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the state,sac lancel soldes, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!posted by Johnny Assay at 4:13 PM on January 27,casquette new era pas cher, 2011 [8 favorites]
Since you mention Lincoln,giuseppe zanotti nederland, I am compelled to mention broadswords in a pit.
posted by hattifattener at 4:18 PM on January 27, 2011
There's lots of good ones about Wittgenstein,new era france, but my favorite regards Wittgenstein wielding a poker against Karl Popper:
The club became legendary within philosophy because of a meeting on 25 October 1946 at Richard Braithwaite's rooms in King's,new era pas cher, where Karl Popper, another Viennese philosopher, had been invited as the guest speaker. Popper's paper was "Are there philosophical problems?", in which he struck up a position against Wittgenstein's,sac lancel pas cher, contending that problems in philosophy are real,new era france, not just linguistic puzzles as Wittgenstein argued. Accounts vary as to what happened next,giuseppe zanotti, but Wittgenstein was apparently infuriated and started waving a hot poker at Popper, demanding that Popper give him an example of a moral rule. Popper offered one "Not to threaten visiting speakers with pokers" at which point Russell had to tell Wittgenstein to put the poker down and Wittgenstein stormed out. It was the only time the philosophers, three of the most eminent in the world,giuseppe zanotti sneakers men, were ever in the same room together.[49] The minutes record that the meeting was "charged to an unusual degree with a spirit of controversy.
posted by Lutoslawski at 4:18 PM on January 27,new era soldes, 2011 [2 favorites]
Mental Floss is full of this kind of thing. A perusal of their blog will bring up lots of interesting/funny stories about historical people,lancel soldes, places and events. For example, they have a series called that has a lot of t his kind of thing.
posted by LaurenIpsum at 4:26 PM on January 27, 2011 [3 favorites]
My favorite story about Harry Truman was how,giuseppe zanotti dames, when he became Roosevelt's VP,ralph lauren pas cher, he honestly didn't know the depth of Roosevelt's illness at the time,sac lancel soldes, as it was a closely guarded secret.
After he actually met Roosevelt in person at this time and was let in on the secret,giuseppe zanotti sneakers men, he had a giant ZOMG reaction. Some of Truman's letters to his own trusted colleagues back in Missouri had passages like, "Uhh, not sure this was a good move. In deep shit. I think this guy's gonna die." Roosevelt died three months into the term.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 4:29 PM on January 27, 2011 [1 favorite]
If you have time, check out the Oxford Book of Literary Anecdotes. So many favorites there, I wish I could find my book (it's packed in a box).
Hopefully recalling this correctly,ralph lauren pas cher.
John Bronte (father of the Bronte sisters) was hosting guests for dinner and the topic at the table was regarding the horrors of cannibalism. He smiled as he wryly responded,sac lancel, "If we are to have meat at all, why not the best?"
While out with a berry gathering party,new era france, Edward Emerson,casquette new era, then a young boy, in his eagerness,ralph lauren france, tripped and spilled his berries. He was inconsolable even when others reassured him with offers from their own bounties. Thoreau knelt on his knee,sac lancel soldes, put his arm around the boy and told him that "In order for the crop to continue,lancel, nature had provided for little boys to now and then,lancel adjani, trip and sow the berries so that they may continue go grow. If he would come back next year, he would find a terrific lot of berries in this very spot!" And at that, Edward broke into smiles.
posted by loquat at 4:34 PM on January 27, 2011 [1 favorite]
Julius Caesar was captured by pirates when he was young. They were going to hold him for ransom,polo ralph lauren pas cher, but he was offended at the small amount they had requested and insisted that they raise it.
While waiting,giuseppe zanotti nederland, he spent the time hanging out with them, practicing fighting,giuseppe zanotti outlet, relaxing,polo ralph lauren pas cher, and promising them that when his friends returned with the money and they released him, he'd raise a fleet, come back, and kill them all.

http://cnfledu.com/plus/feedback.php?aid=2525

http://www.rzusp.com/plus/view.php?aid=857649

http://www.welvtu.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=424066&fromuid=127214

http://www.qingdaowine.com/plus/view.php?aid=12549

http://www.7330.com/my/space.php?uid=21473&do=blog&id=1829703

http://dev.scohoe.com/comment/reply/2

Profile E-mail