Saab NewsSaab ForumSaab ClassifiedsSaab SpecificationsAbout UsSaab links

Saabing.com

Saab Discussion Boards
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which ECU(chip) is the best ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:20 pm 
hello,

firstly thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me with this enquiry.

my 95 9000 is a 2.3l Low pressure model and i am shopping for a good value perfomance boost. I have decided on a ecu upgrade and air filter, but i need a little help choosing the right one?? what are your thoughts??

When you order an ecu upgrade do you have to return your original ecu as part of the deal?? can you install the new ecu yourself??

thanks again for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

You can find all chip suppliers here... http://www.saabing.com/link/pages/Performance_Parts_Sellers/

Post subject: AERO ECU is the best value performance upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:36 pm 
You can use an Aero ECU and solenoid... I believe it woild the best value upgrade you can buy !!! Scan car-part.com for a used one .... The ECU allows a little more boost than a stock fpt.
Max sustained boost with a stock FPT is about 12 psi and LPT is only 10psi.
The Aero ECU allows about 14-15 psi.
It is a noticable change, but not all that great, maybe about 10-20 hp
and some increase in torque.
You can get more with a stage 1 SQR upgrade.

My '97 CSE with 3" exhaust, open K&N, 50mm intercooler and stage 3 SQR s/w
will produce 310 ft. lbs. of torgue and 237 hp, at the wheels. It is much quicker than the '95 with the Aero ECU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:41 pm 
Agree with the post above.. the best route to go is to put an Aero chip in your 9000. I had a 95 CS LPT and was looking into chip upgrades and stuff, but then had the idea to put an Aero chip in. The Aeros run about 6.1 0-60 (manufacturer tested with a 5-speed). that is pretty darn fast. my CS with a stick posted about 8.4 0-60 using a G-Tech performance meter. when I put the chip in, I shaved 2 seconds off that time after putting just the chip and APC in. the best part is, I found the chip for only $79 on eBay! that is significantly cheaper than any aftermarket one you can find. be sure to find one that is from a 5-speed that is 95- on. if you get one that is a 96-98, the check engine light will come on, but don't be alarmed! the 96-98 9000s have an extra O2 sensor and therefore their chips are programmed to pick that up. since they won't pick it up in your car, then the check-engine light will come on. I had a boost pressure gauge in my car and the boost went from a max 7 psi to a whopping 15 psi. that will be the best bang for your buck and also most reliable way to go (in my opinion) and if you ever want to put your old chip back in, you still have it! but be sure to also buy an APC in order for it to work. hope that helped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:42 pm 
Usually the reprogrammers want your ECU. Are you running auto or stick? The ECU is very simple to install yourself. It is located just in front of the wind shield, drivers side in the false fire wall. It is a plug and play approach.
Do the FPT upgrade first

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:43 pm 
The ECU for the auto CSE and Aero are the same as they both use the 200hp FPT engine and management system.. There is a wire that goes from the auto trans to the ECU that signals that it is an auto trans and limits the torque.
here is what to do....search the BB's for how to convert to FPT. Do this. Then get a reprogrammed ECU. Stage 1,2 or 3 depending on what you want. All of the stages mentioned are available from either SQR, Maptun or Nordic.
I have a CSE FPT with; SQR stage3, 3"turbo back exhaust and ITG airfilter. It gets to 100mph in about 13 sec.
FYI...your engine is the same as an Aero engine...just does not have the BPC and ECU.
What is your budget....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:46 pm 
If i order stage 1 from MapTUN for a FPT auto 2.3litre, can i use it on my 2.3 litre auto LPT if I also fit a solenoid valve kit?????

and does anyone have the part number for a solenoid valve so i can get one from the wreckers??

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:47 pm 
Yes...But why? You will not get much kick over stock. I suggest you mofify to FPT first. Your engine will than be 200hp with increased torque. Drive it around then decide on what stage you want. The BPC valve part # according to my sales receipt is.... 7485576. You will also need the vac lines.